Best Practices for Keeping Devices Safe
It’s essential to keep your phone and laptop fully functional, as you most likely rely on these devices every day. Check out some of the best security practices for keeping your mobile devices and computers safe at work, school and home.
How to Keep Devices Safe at Work
From analyzing data to sending marketing emails, you use your computer for many important tasks at work. It’s vital to keep the following laptop safety tips in mind to ensure your sensitive work information stays secure:
- Only install authorized programs or software from your workplace or safe sites.
- Set up automatic updates to ensure your system and programs are up-to-date.
- Connect to secure, private Wi-Fi sources instead of unreliable public networks.
- Use strong passwords that have a combination of both upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols.
- Store files and data on a company resource instead of backing them up directly on your laptop.
- Open links from trusted sources, not spammy, unsolicited emails.
How to Keep Devices Safe at School
Using devices, especially laptops, is becoming more common in classrooms. However, School Chief Technology Officers (CTOs), Directors of IT and teachers should all keep in mind that downloading free classroom applications and software can come with some risks. Many of these downloads are unencrypted and have security weaknesses. This software could cause unauthorized users to access everything from voice recordings to students’ names, causing your school to no longer be in compliance with state and federal laws.
To ensure tech-based learning is safe, be sure you are following some security practices in the classroom:
- Have all students store and charge their devices in one place to prevent damage or loss.
- Keep high-level Protected Data, such as student records, compliant with the UCB Data Classification Standard at all times.
- Ensure all students know how to secure their mobile devices and laptops with a strong password. Teachers can then store and secure this information in a password manager.
- Avoid downloading and opening unknown or unsolicited links, attachments and emails.
How to Keep Devices Safe at Home
Whether you are streaming your favorite series or banking online at home, these are some of the best security practices for keeping mobile devices and laptops safe:
- Turn on automatic software updates to ensure you are using the latest security configurations.
- Avoid clicking on suspicious ads or unsafe websites, which can contain malware.
- Create a strong password or PIN for your devices, using a combination of both upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols.
PowerGistics Is the Solution for Charging and Storing Your Devices
Keeping your mobile devices, tablets and laptops charged and safely stored is easier than ever with PowerGistics. Our Towers, which come in custom colors, allow you to conveniently and efficiently charge multiple devices at once.